2018-2019 AMC 8, AMC 10-12, and AIME Prep
- AMC8 Date: 11/13/18 (Tue)
- AMC10/12A Date: 2/7/19 (Thurs)
- AMC10/12B Date: 2/13/19 (Wed)
- AIME I Date: 3/13/19 (Wed)
- AIME II Date: 3/21/19 (Thurs)
Why take part in AMC?
- It helps getting into the engineering or science fields from Ivy-
League colleges or top Universities. MIT asks for the AMC scores in its college application. Stanford accepts high percentage of students who are good with math and science demonstrated in winning math and/or science contests.
- It improves logical thinking and problem solving skills.
- It helps advancing in school math track.
The path to the USA International Math Olympiad
AMC10/12 (scored top 2.5%/top 5%) → AIME → USA(J)MO (500 students) → MOSP (~30+30 students) → IMO (6 students representing USA)
- Two MathEdge PMWC trained students, Andrew He and Jerry Wu, qualified for 2012 MOSP (Mathematical Olympiad Summer Program)
- 16 MathEdge Students Were Named in the 58th Annual Results and Awards for AMC 10/12 Perfect Scorer, AIME, USAMO Qualifiers
AMC 10/12 prep: Saturdays 5-
AMC 8 prep: Saturdays 12-
AMC 8/10 Prep Curriculum
Curriculum and Schedule for Saturday (subject to change)
|AMC8 Prep Curriculum|
|1.||9/8/18||Orientation. Sample AMC10&12||Orientation|
AMC 8 Mock Test
|2.||9/15/18||Exponent||2000AMC10||Average||2000 AMC 8|
|3.||9/22/18||Algebra||2001AMC10||Pythagorean||2001 AMC 8|
|4.||9/29/18||Functions||2002AMC10-A||Rectangles||2002 AMC 8|
|5.||10/6/18||Logarithms||2003AMC10-A||Probability||2003 AMC 8|
|6.||10/13/18||AMC 10 Mock Test1||2004AMC10-A||Geometry-Solids||2004 AMC 8|
|7.||10/20/18||Counting||2005AMC10-A||Counting||2005 AMC 8|
|8.||10/27/18||Probability||2006AMC10-A||Distribution||2006 AMC 8|
|9.||11/3/18||Number Bases||2007AMC10-A||Sequences||2007 AMC 8|
|10.||11/10/18||Modular Arithmetic||2008AMC10-A||AMC8 Mock Test||2008 AMC 8|
|11.||11/17/18||AMC 10 Mock Test2||2009AMC10-A|
|13.||12/8/18||AMC 10 Mock Test3||2003AMC10-B|
|15.||1/5/18||AMC 10/12 Mock Test4||2005AMC10-B|
|18.||1/26/19||AMC 10/12 Mock Test||2008AMC10-B|
|19.||2/2/19||AMC 10/12 Mock Test||2000AMC12|
AIME (American Invitational Mathematics Examination) Prep
- Purpose: Prepare for the American Invitational Mathematics Examination
- Schedule: 4 weeks 2/9/19 – 3/9/19
- Day and Time: Saturdays 5-
- Who: Grades 9+
- Homework: Prior AIME contests
The AIME (American Invitational Mathematics Examination) is an intermediate examination between the AMC 10 or AMC 12 and the USAMO. All students who took the AMC 12 and achieved a score of 100 or more out of a possible 150 or were in the top 5% are invited to take the AIME. All students who took the AMC 10 and were in the top 2.5% (In previous years this percentage was 1%) (about 120) also qualify for the AIME.
The AIME is a 15 question, 3-
To qualify for the USAMO, scoring a minimum of 8 in AIME is required.
AIME Prep Curriculum and Schedule
|2/9/19||2009 AIME 1||N/A|
|2/23/19||2008 AIME 1||2008 AIME 2|
|3/2/19||2007 AIME 1||2007 AIME 2|
|3/9/19||2006 AIME 1||2006 AIME 2|
American Mathematics Competitions announced changes to the AMC10/12 –
1. The cutoff score to advance from the AMC10 to the AIME is still 120, but in the event that fewer than 2.5% of all students score 120 or higher, they will lower the cutoff score so that the top 2.5% of students advance. (In previous years this percentage was 1%.) (Also, no changes for advancement from AMC12 to AIME: it’s still 100 or the top 5%.)
2. Students can qualify for the USAMO only by taking the AMC12. Students can qualify for the USAJMO only by taking the AMC10. If a student takes both the AMC10 and AMC12 and qualifies for both olympiads, he or she must take the USAMO.